Friday, December 23, 2011

The Deal

November 27th: While casually browsing Craigslist, I came upon an advert for a 2000 Triumph Tiger for $1000. I did not have plans to purchase another motorcycle, but it sounded like a very good deal, and I promptly replied via email. The owner, Chad, was involved in an accident on July 28th. While returning from the dealer where he had the bike serviced, he was rear ended while at a stop, and the bike was thrown against the rear bumper of a vehicle in front of him. We agreed on a time I'd come by and take a look. The motorcycle was the dealer, 35-miles away, and a number of interested parties had already called.
 
November 28th:The Inspection: a 2000 Triumph Tiger with 12,767 miles odometer reading. The front fork and cowling were clearly misaligned, the front fender shattered, and a cracked right side cowling and broken right turn indicator light lens.

The dealer estimated $7,278.76 in parts and labor to repair the vehicle.
Misaligned Front Forks, Cracked Fender, Cracked Right Cockpit moulding, Cracked Indicator lens
Misaligned Front Forks, Cracked Fender, Cracked Right Cockpit moulding, Cracked Indicator lens
Chad had acquired the Triumph in 2009 from the original owner who rode it 3100 miles down to San Ramon, California from Anchorage, Alaska. Service records shows the scheduled maintenance was completed by the dealer. Chad recently added a Givi top case and heated grips; changed the rear (EBC) brake pads, battery, sprocket and chain; and installed Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires just prior to the accident.

I had recently returned to motorcycling with a recent purchase of a 1993 BMW K1100LT, and really did not need another motorcycle, as I was restoring a 1973 Honda SLl25K2 with my son.
Another prospective buyer came down from Reno, Nevada the same time I scheduled to inspect the Triumph. I quickly decided that despite the issues, this would be a good deal, and I offered Chad $700 for the bike, which would cover his insurance deductable and compensate for the Givi top case. Chad had already used his checkfrom the insurance company to purchase a 2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200.

We promptly struck a deal, and I returned the next day to pick-up the bike. DMV advised me that since the vehicle was reported by the insurance company as a 'Total Loss', I would need California Highway Patrol to inspect the motorcycle, before I could register and license the vehicle for street use. The process seems relatively straight forward but time consuming.

No comments:

Post a Comment